Tuesday, November 18, 2008

They came asking

In my initial thought on this post, the “they” were the C.P.S. (Child Protective Services). They came to the door and said that there was a problem with the documentation for who we called our oldest daughter. They said that we had 72-hours to produce for them an original copy of the Birth Certificate, or they would have to take the child. While this would alarm most of us, and we may first choose not to comply, for me this would be easy because that very moment I could retrieve the document from a fire-safe that is in my home office.

I say that those were only my original thoughts because while the potential of losing one of our children expresses the seriousness of the situation I am trying to explain, it sounds very remote and almost impossible if not silly. Also I do not want to be construed some strange way as a Conspiracy Theorist that thinks “they” are out there and trying to take our children. I need a better example.

So let’s change the “they” to the local sponsors of the children’s Soccer League. They come to the door saying that all the children’s sign-up records have been lost in a computer crash and the hard copies could not be found. With the out-of-League District Championship game happening in 72-hours they needed to round-up all the players’ information again in order to have a team and have your child play. They need to see the Birth Certificate to certify that you are the parents and the child is of the proper age to be playing in the Championship game. Again this would be easy for me. And since we have not yet ventured into “organized” sports with our kids, I know most parents know more about the real soccer sign-ups more than I.

Yes, this is a much more realistic example, but again while championship games are important, if the documents are not found and the child does not play, it will only “seem” like the end of the world. So I need a better example. Let’s say that you are about to take on a journey that is to this day one of the greatest responsibilities that you will have in life. If someone comes to you and says there is just one thing we need to see before you begin your new duty; we need to see your original birth certificate. For me this would not be a problem.

Of these examples, the first two are the least likely, for I know someone that is in almost the same situation as the last instance. I encourage that person to just show the Birth Certificate and move on. I encourage you also to persuade anyone you know that is in any of these similar situations to just show the documents and go win the District Championship, or better yet Lead Our Country.

1 comment:

Jay Garbarino said...

Interesting Link for those interested

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2008/11/scotus-souter-t.html